Review: The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn

AMAZON | KINDLE

The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke) by Julia Quinn
Historical / Regency
2009-10-13 (HarperCollins)

Rating: A+
Heat: Sweet

Heroine: Miranda Cheever -  Aristocrat, Life Long Crush
Hero: Nigel Bevelstoke – Viscount, Tortured  
Setting: England



Synopsis:


Review:

This book is one of my favorites by Julia Quinn. To me, it shares the honor with The Duke & I and Romancing Mister Bridgerton. It is going immediately on my All-Time-Favorites shelf.

The early interactions between a ten year old Miranda and a nineteen year old Turner - they made me melt. The innocence they both possessed, the effect Turner had on Miranda even then, it really set the foundation for the whole story.

Usually I tend to favor the hero for my favorite, and I truly adore Turner - despite his faults and hangups - but Miranda was such a presence. I felt everything she felt. Believe me. I don't think I've cried so much throughout an entire book as I did with this one. Tears of sadness, tears of happiness... Tears for all the emotions the characters had.

I think Julia Quinn's greatest strength is in the depth she gives her characters. The way she makes you invest in them. You grow to truly care for their outcome. She did a magnificent job with Miranda and Turner.

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the diary aspects of the novel, but I really shouldn't have feared. Her talent with the Lady Whistledown parts of the earlier Bridgerton books translated well to the diary entries. They were a sweet addition.

I loved this book. I loved Miranda and Turner. I stayed up till nearly 3am reading it - and went to bed with only 60 or so pages left. My eyes were drooping and I really didn't want to not give the end my full attention. Such a wonderful love story. It will make you swoon, it will melt you, and it will make you weep - make you frustrated and distressed. And in the end you will want to hug the book, since you can't hug the characters.

Favorite Quote:

And then what would she say? ‘I just told your brother that I love him, and I'm afraid that he hates me? I can't be alone with Turner because I'm afraid he might ravish me? I can't be alone with Turner because I'm afraid I might ravish him.’

 

Thoughts While Reading:

N/A

0 comments:

Comments moderated on posts older than 8 days.