Review: Fifty Shames of Earl Grey by Andrew Shaffer

AMAZON | KINDLE

Fifty Shames of Earl Grey: A Parody by Andrew Shaffer
Humor / Contemporary
2012-07-10 (Da Capo Press)

Rating: B
Heat: Warm (although, really, none if it is actually sexy…)

Heroine: Anna Steal – Virgin, TSTL (on purpose) 
Hero: Earl Grey – Billionaire, Shameful 
Setting: Washington, USA



Synopsis:


Review:

In order to fully enjoy and appreciate this book, I think it's necessary to at least be somewhat familiar with the book it's parodying. If, like me, you couldn't get past the first few chapters of said book - go ahead and read this review. It contains everything you'll need to know.

For instance, the original's (I’m using that term loosely…) main character refers to the voice inside her head as her "inner goddess" - eye roll - while Anna Steal refers to hers as an "inner guidette." And, truly, who doesn't want a Snooki or a JWoww chattering away in their brain? A Jersey accent and a penchant for hair poofing - sign me up!

Another example of some of the comedic gold found in this book is the varied and plentiful usage of euphemisms. Who knew there were so many different ways to NOT say vagina or penis? Mister Shaffer makes it practically an art form. A few of my personal favorites (of the feminine persuasion): Pink palace, Panini, and Carnal Cave.

In the original (wink) there is a scene… its existence is well known… infamous, really… said scene involves a tampon. I’m not quite sure if it was intended to be sexy or not, but it definitely falls on the NOT sexy side for me. Anyway, in Fifty Shames it is transformed into something still unsexy but also seriously silly and laugh-worthy… You might even call it a magic act.

My only real complaint is that it did feel as though it ran a bit long. But, as it is an unabridged parody, I can’t really put the blame on Fifty Shames. I can only assume that had I tried to read that other book, it would’ve felt akin to trying to read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (which clocks in at 565,223 words). Or maybe Mission Earth by L. Ron Hubbard would be a more appropriate comparison (it contains a measly 1.2 million words)?

So, while Fifty Shames might not be good for a one-handed read, as its predecessor is said to be, it is good for a ton of laughs (and a few snorts too). If you want to make your face hurt and give your abs a workout – then this book is for you!

Favorite Quote:

“Did you, um, find everything that you were looking for today?” I mutter, bagging the CD. Early Grey is smiling again like the big bad wolf who wants to eat me. And boy, do I want him to eat my—
“Actually, no,” he says, cutting off my internal monologue. “There were a few things I couldn’t find on my own. Could you help me out?” His voice is cool and gritty like a Wendy’s Frosty, and my mind momentarily goes blank.
I shake my head to gather my thoughts. Like a magic eight ball, a thought pops up for me. "Signs point to yes," I say.
"Excuse me?"
"I mean, yes. Of course I can help you.

 

Thoughts While Reading:

N/A

0 comments:

Comments moderated on posts older than 8 days.