Review: Reflected in You by Sylvia Day

AMAZON | KINDLE

Reflected in You: A Crossfire Novel by Sylvia Day
Contemporary / Erotica 
2012-10-02 (Berkley)

Rating: A
Heat: Sizzling

Heroine: Eva Trammell – Socialite, Damaged
Hero: Gideon Cross – Billionaire, Tortured 
Setting: New York, USA



Synopsis:


Review:

The Crossfire series is, in my opinion, a modern day fairytale. Sure, the handsome prince has been replaced by a handsome billionaire. The princess transformed into a socialite. And the big bad villain, well, instead of a monster to be vanquished, it’s their own damaged selves that must be overcome. But it is, none the less, a realistic and contemporary fairytale... It’s nearly impossible not to be swept away by Eva and Gideon as they fight for their Happily Ever After.

And, oh boy, do they have to fight for it. Which makes every tiny success that much sweeter.

Reflected in You takes places right where Bared to You left off. I’m really glad that there isn’t a time jump. I wouldn’t want to miss one single second of their romance. I’m utterly captivated (read: obsessed) by them. Addicted to them. And if I thought the first book was great—this one is even more so! Completely blew past all my expectations. Engaged me in their drama so thoroughly, you can’t help but feel every sting of jealousy. Every twinge of doubt.

And Eva is definitely put through the ringer in this installment. Some might say Eva is passive-aggressive, and maybe she is, but I also thinks she says, reacts, exactly how most women would. We all have insecurities and they’re often ugly when they surface. Her reactions are organic and raw and it feels like unfiltered access to her every thought and emotion. How open she is as a narrator is one of my favorite aspects of this series.

Gideon, on the other hand, is at the complete other end of the openness spectrum. If I thought Gideon was a puzzle, a mystery, before... Well, in this one he is even more closed up and locked down—the man practically has a vise around his emotions. Which is probably the majority (maybe half... okay, only a quarter) of his appeal. He makes you want to continually try to figure him out. That, and the fact that he is ridiculously sexy, says and does the most titillating things, and gives off that ‘needs the love of a good woman’ vibe makes him nigh irresistible.

Together, Eva and Gideon are making progress. Their growth is tangible and it fills you with hope, gives you a glimmer of better times to come. I’m not sure I even fully realized just how broken Eva and Gideon are in the first book, but it is shown in much more depth in this one. Probably because they are talking more and Eva has become more vocal. She’s still rash, but not as quick to flee. Gideon is still unreasonable, but you see more of the motivations behind it. There is still jealousy and insecurity but, honestly, some of Gideon’s behavior would drive me up a wall too.

I felt for Eva a lot throughout. It was hard not to share her doubts about her and Gideon’s relationship. Especially when so many people in her life are vocal about it and him. When they’re seemingly the voice of reason, sharing doubts and concerns about Gideon. And he just does...nothing. It gave me depressing niggles of doubt too. The man needs to give reasons and explanations, at least try to justify his actions. One minute he is open and slightly vulnerable, the next he is the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz—desperately in need of a friggin’ heart! And even though you sense, assume, think you know the WHY of it, it doesn't make it hurt any less.

These two can wear you out with their ups and their downs, that’s for sure, but I enjoyed every second of it. Especially their sexual escapades. Eva and Gideon’s chemistry… like a lit match in a fireworks factory. They’re explosive and temperamental. And Gideon has the stamina of a... I don’t even know. I’d use the cliché Energizer bunny, but I think he could outlast even that. He’s insatiable and I love it!

And I must warn you: Reflected in You has within it THE hottest mile high nooky ever. Hands down. Your stomach will clench, your breath will come out in tiny little pants, and your blood will feel like it’s on fire. I really don't know how Miz Day consistently writes such wicked and wild and arousing scenes but, oh my goodness, does she ever! And, when Eva says, "I want to know what your fantasy is," Gideon doesn’t hold back. At all. Whew, the mental images still make me shiver.

I trembled through another climax, my body arching with the need to feel him in me. Through the roaring of blood in my ears, I heard a voice making an announcement over the comm system, but I couldn’t register the words.
”You’re so sensitive.” Lifting his head, he licked his lips. “You’re coming like crazy.”
I gasped. “I’d come harder if you were inside me.”
”I’ll keep that in mind.”

Reflected in You was sinfully sexy and deliciously dirty while also being so filled with emotion that my eyes were constantly leaking, releasing the excess feelings from me so that I could keep reading. I felt so much for Eva and Gideon and their struggles. And even though for every two steps forward they’d take, there was always one step back, they’re still headed in the right direction. The last couple chapters were nothing short of amazing. My heart is still fluttering in my chest.

 

Favorite Quote:

”It’s my period,” I whispered, not wanting Angus to overhear. “It should start any day now. I don’t know why I didn’t realize it before. No wonder I’m so tired and cranky; I’m hormonal.”
He stilled. After a heartbeat or two, I tilted my head back to search his face.
With his lips twisted ruefully, he admitted, “That’s a new one for me. Not something that comes up in the course of a casual sex life.”
”Lucky you. You get to experience the inconvenience reserved for men with girlfriends and wives.”
”I am lucky.” Gideon brushed loose strands of my hair away from temples, his own luxuriant hair falling around that chiseled face. “And maybe, if I’m really lucky, you’ll feel better tomorrow and like me again.”

 

Thoughts While Reading:

0.0% - "I'm giddy for Gideon! ;-)"
12.0% - "Ow, that stings."
80.0% - "Well, that's not good... and yet it kinda is..."
100.0% - "Shiesta. That is another wham bam thank you ma'am ending!"

8 comments:

  1. Wow-oh-wow-oh-wow! I was excited to read this before, but now I absolutely cannot wait! Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Laura! :-D I tried to tease but not spoil!

      Delete
  2. Good review I can't wait to read it. I'm still hoping this will be more than a trilogy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I don't want the Eva and Gideon saga to end with Entwined with You! Always hoping for more. :)

      Delete
  3. I loved book 1 and have been waiting so patiently for book 2 and now after reading this...I want the book now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you thought Bared was fantastic - Reflected will blow you away! It is SO worth the wait! :-D

      Delete
  4. im so excited! may i ask how you were able to get an advanced copy? cant wait till Oct 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NetGalley. A site for book reviewers, journalists, bloggers, etc.

      Delete

Comments moderated on posts older than 8 days.