5 Reasons Why Paula Fell Hopelessly in Love with Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

AMAZON | KINDLE

Hopeless (Hopeless #1) by Colleen Hoover
New Adult
Colleen Hoover (December 17, 2012)

Rating: A
Heat: Warm

Heroine: Sky Davis – Adopted, Teenager
Hero: Dean Holder – Misunderstood, Teenager




Synopsis:


Review:

Okay, I've obviously lost cool points for not reading Hopeless sooner. I saw the hype on every blog imaginable. My Goodreads feed was bogged down with hundreds of emotional status updates. And nine out of ten reviews were five stars. But I still put off reading it until my co-blogger read it and loved it and told me I MUST read it. So I did. And I loved it. Now, the problem I'm having is writing a review that will do this book justice. I'm feeling defeated by this task. How do you write a review for a book that leaves you feeling dizzy with awe, breathless, speechless, gasping for air? So instead of writing a full review, I give you my...

Top Five reasons why I fell hopelessly in love with Hopeless:

1. Two words: Dean Holder.

”Dean Holder? Messy brown hair? Smoldering blue eyes? A temper straight out of Fight Club?”

Holder, with his Hopeless tattoo on his arm, is the kind of bad boy that you will fall hopelessly in love with. I fell hard for him. He’s passionate, complicated, confident, fiercely protective, and witty. He has lickable dimples and a coma-inducing hot body. And every time he walked on to the pages, he gave me butterflies. And last, but certainly not least, he cuddles. Yep, Holder is book boyfriend worthy.

“When I touch you, I’m touching you because I want to make you happy. When I kiss you, I’m kissing you because you have the most incredible mouth I’ve ever seen and you know I can’t not kiss it. And when I make love to you—I’m doing exactly that. I’m making love to you because I’m in love with you.” - Holder

2. Sky Davis, our heroine, is a wonderful, smart, saucy, technologically challenged, snarky, broken but strong, brave, book lover, kind of weird in a cool way, beautiful inside and out, and I would love to have been friends with her in high school. Sky has never felt much, or anything, with a boy the way that Holder makes her feel. Up until they meet, any other boy has made her feel numb. And Holder made her feel everything...especially lust. Lust is a whole new feeling to Sky and she didn’t know what to do with it at first. It was awkward for her. And her confusion over her new feelings was endearing and funny at the same time.

“I’ve never been swept off my feet. I don’t get butterflies. In fact the whole idea of being swooned by anyone is foreign to me… Somehow, in the course of sixty seconds, this guy has managed to swoon me, then terrify the hell out of me.” - Sky

3. The passion and fire between these two is so incredibly real and intense. The way they felt towards one another is beautiful. Almost magical. And holy sexual tension... these two have the best non-kiss ever. I think I held my breath the entire time they non-kissed. Holder is one sexy mofo with his teasing kisses on Sky's neck, cheek, eyebrow, shoulder...everywhere but the lips. That scene melted my butter.

“Sky, I'm not kissing you tonight but believe me when I tell you, I've never wanted to kiss a girl more. So stop thinking I'm not attracted to you because you have no idea just how much I am. You can hold my hand, you can run your fingers through my hair, you can straddle me while I feed you spaghetti, but you are not getting kissed tonight. And probably not tomorrow, either. I need this. I need to know for sure that you're feeling every single thing that I'm feeling the moment my lips touch yours. Because I want your first kiss to be the best first kiss in the history of first kisses.” – Holder

4. The secondary characters. Six is Sky's first best friend in the whole wide world and she is absolutely the coolest chick. She walks to the beat of her drum. I love her blasé attitude. I love her uplifting texts to Sky. I love how she loves Sky. I love how Sky and Six are so different but also so much alike. And they simply accept each other for who they are. This is a true girl-mance at its best.

"Sky, you are beautiful. You are possibly the most exquisite creature in the universe and if anyone tells you otherwise, I'll cut a bitch." (Text message from Six to Sky)

“Only one day at public school and the bitches already made your locker rain?" she laughs. "Impressive.” - Six

And then there is the sassy, bold, and funny Breckin. On Sky's first day of school, he befriends her right away and becomes her second best friend in the whole wide world. He's gay, Mormon, and proud. Breckin rocks.

“Breckin shrugs. “I’m new here. And if you haven’t deducted from my impeccable fashion sense, I think it’s safe to say that I’m…” he leans forward and cups his hand to his mouth in secrecy. “Mormon,” he whispers.” - Breckin

5. The writing is amazing. Miz Hoover knows how to write an emotionally-charged story that made me feel every single word deep inside my soul. My mind went through a smattering of emotions that range from smiling and laughing (a lot!), lust, falling in love with the characters, sadness, shock, worry, nervousness, disgust, grief, acceptance, and contentment. The writing is flawless. It flows from word to word smoothly, keeping me enthralled from the beginning to the very last page. Miz Hoover writes my kind of snarky and snappy humor. I laughed out loud on several occasions. The humor adds charm and lightness to a story that could’ve potentially been overly dark. And the characters are so vividly real, I felt like I was living their life. Oh, and the twist. When we learn about the twist about halfway through the book, my jaw fell on the ground. It was completely unpredictable.

In case you haven't noticed by now, I loved this brilliantly told story. If you are one of the few people left, who love new adult romances, and hasn't read Hopeless, read the freaking book now! I can guarantee you are missing out.

With that said, I will leave you with one of my most favorite scenes. Sky is my kind of gal. I love the way she thinks...

“My locker seems to have become the hub for sticky notes and nasty letters, none of which I ever see actually being placed on or in my locker. I really don’t get what people gain out of doing things like this if they don’t even own up to it.

Like the note that was stuck to my locker this morning. All it said was, “

Whore.”

Really? Where’s the creativity in that? They couldn’t back it up with an interesting story? Maybe a few details of my indiscretion? If I have to read this shit every day, the least they could do is make it interesting. If I was going to stoop so low as to leave an unfounded note on someone’s locker,I’d at least have the courtesy of entertaining whoever reads it in the process. I’d write something interesting like, “I saw you in bed with my boyfriend last night. I really don’t appreciate you getting massage oil on my cucumbers. Whore.”

I laugh and it feels odd, laughing out loud at my own thoughts. I look around and no one is left in the hallway but me.

Rather than rip the sticky notes off of my locker like I probably should, I take out my pen and make them a little more creative. You’re welcome, passersby.”

Thoughts While Reading:
10.0% - “Oh, yeah... this book is awesome already. *kicking myself for not reading sooner”
16.0% - "LOL... ‘Only one day at public school and the bitches already made your locker rain?’”
38.0% - "Holy sexual tension! That was the most incredible non-kiss ever! *fans self*"

0 comments:

Comments moderated on posts older than 8 days.