Review: Unbreakable by Rebecca Shea

AMAZON | KINDLE

Unbreakable by Rebecca Shea
Contemporary
Rebecca Shea (July 23, 2013)

Rating: A-
Heat: Hot

Heroine: Jessica Harper – College, Girlfriend 
Hero: Gabe Garcia – Firefighter, Boyfriend


 

 

 

Synopsis:


Review:

Unbreakable swept me up and took me on an emotional, heartrending journey that I never expected to experience. There are so many things I would like to express about this story, but I’m going to be vague for fear of spoiling you. Just know that this story deals with sensitive subject matter that is cruel, disturbing, and unfathomable.

Jessica Harper lost her mother when she was a child. Her father’s way to cope was to emerge himself into his work as a Fire Chief at the local fire station. Not knowing how to raise a little girl, he pretty much left it up to the Garcia’s, their neighbors across the street to watch over Jessica. They became her family. Their daughter Ava is her best friend and like a sister. Ava has two older brothers, Luke and Gabriel, and, for years, Jessica has been crushing on Gabe. She didn’t realize he'd been harboring the same feelings for her as well. They both finally confess their feelings towards each other and then become a sweet and happy couple that is deeply in love and looking forward to their future together.

At this point, I’ve really gotten to know Gabe and Jess and I’ve fallen in love with this couple. Yet, at the same time, I had this niggling feeling in the back of my mind that something bad was about to happen, especially since the happy relationship is giving me nothing but warm and fuzzy feelings. I needed some angst and drama. And hells bells if I didn’t get what I asked for. I was suddenly a crying, emotional wreck. My heart completely shattered. Prepare yourself for some serious heartbreak. And grab a box of tissues.

From that point on, the tone of the book completely changes. Jess and Gabe’s relationship is put through the wringer. It’s the ultimate test of their love for one another. Jess has been traumatized. Gabe has no idea how to console her. They are both lost. The relationship is falling apart. Jess pushes Gabe away. Gabe is confused by it all and lets her push him away. He loves this woman all the way deep into his soul and he feels helpless. Poor Gabe and Jess. It was all so very frustrating and sad to watch this beautiful couple lose all that beauty they once had together. I completely and utterly felt for Jess. My heart went out to this girl. I understood her confusion and anger and sorrow. She’s destroyed by what happened to her. She needs to escape everyone and everything. She’s become an empty shell and needs to find a way to live again. Which is why she takes an internship in North Carolina and abruptly leaves everyone without telling them where she’s going and leaves a distraught Gabe behind.

“Don’t go,” I whisper. “Love me enough to stay.” –Gabe


*cries big, fat ugly tears*

Even though I was opposed to Jess to leaving Gabe, I understood her reasons. So, while Jess is in North Carolina, she meets Landon, the bad boy police officer that becomes her friend. He helps her in more ways than she ever imagined. What he does for Jess is completely selfless. I was wooed by this man. I admit to being slightly torn between Landon and Gabe. They are both worthy, incredibly sexy, charismatic, and selfless men. Though, I admit, my heart was always with Gabe, whom I absolutely adored. I wanted Jess and Gabe back together. Do they get back together? I’m not saying. *wink*

Unbreakable is a stunning and well-written debut story about love, tragedy, fear, anger, heartbreak, regret, and second chances. This story consumed me with the incredible depth of emotion portrayed by the characters. Jess and Gabe are exceptional characters that I felt connected to. They are not perfect and they make a lot of mistakes as they grow and change throughout the story. The secondary characters, especially Landon, are just as vividly depicted as the main characters. Gabe and Jess made me laugh and smile as they fall in love and plan their future together. They made me cry fat, ugly tears when they fell apart. I felt Gabe’s heartache and anger when the woman he loves was crushed by tragedy then left him. I felt Jess’ need to escape the depression she was drowning in. I felt her first breath of happiness when she finally found herself again. There are so many things I would like to say about Landon, but I’m going to leave that part alone. Take this journey with these characters and find out what happens to them. It’s a turbulent ride but, I promise, you won’t want to miss out on this book. To say I’m stoked about the next book in the series is a HUGE understatement.

0 comments:

Comments moderated on posts older than 8 days.