Quickie: Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane

AMAZON | KINDLE

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts) by Stacia Kane 
Urban Fantasy
2010-05-19 (Del Rey)

Rating: B+
Heat: Warm

Heroine: Chess Putman – Witch, Drug Addict 
Hero: Terrible – Rockabilly, Enforcer
Setting: Downside, USA



Review:

Totally awesome world in this book-- dark, gritty, and magical. No werewolves or vampires, which was a refreshing change. Just ghosts and the witches who control them.
I love the heroine, Chess. And the hero (I hope) Terrible. They are two incredibly broken characters that are riddled with flaws - and yet you can't help caring for them and rooting for them. Even when you want to cringe at some of their choices. I'm starting the next book right away so I can read more of these two together. They are heartwrenchingly combustible.

And Downside, the world they inhabit. It's like this melding of post-apocalyptic survivors meets the ghetto meets a homeless shanty town meets some hip greaser slash punk hangout... Such a neat setting and it is written so well. I love imagining all the places they go in this book.

My only complaint has to do with the big action, bad guy take down at the end. It was a bit long winded and overly descriptive, IMO. It slowed down the pace a tad too much. Not a big deal, just a minor grumble.

Such a neat book. Unique to the n'th degree. There is no series I could compare it too - and I love that.

0 comments:

Comments moderated on posts older than 8 days.