One Night Stand: The Perfect Game by J. Sterling

AMAZON | KINDLE

The Perfect Game (The Perfect Game #1) by J. Sterling
Mature YA  
J. Sterling (October 9, 2012)

Rating: C+
Heat: Hot

Heroine: Cassie Andrews – Photographer, Trust Issues 
Hero: Jack Carter – Baseball Player, Manwhore 
Setting: USA

*There may be some minor spoilers but not many. I really try to stay away from spoilers.

Synopsis:


Review:

Oh boy. Where do I start with this book? I had a pretty good idea what happens in this book before I started it. What I didn't realize, however, is how emotionally involved I would get. Ms. Sterling made me fall in love with this couple, then ripped my heart out, and then put it back together. What an exhausting, crazy, emotional rollercoaster ride this story turned out to be.


You’re both so screwed up alone that together you’re like the perfect mess.

Jack and Cassie met while at a frat party. Jack is your typical womanizing manwhore who thinks he can get any woman he wants, until he meets Cassie who won't give him the time of day. Well, Jack Carter is not used to any woman not paying attention to him. So, he pursues Cassie. He wants to take her on a date. And Jack Carter does not take any woman on a date. After relentlessly pursuing Cassie, she finally gives in to him. One date, she says. That's all. She doesn't want to give Jack anything. She knows he's a player and she will not be played.

But she is attracted to his charm and gets to know him over burgers and fries. He tells her things about himself that he doesn't tell anyone. In turn, Cassie opens up to Jack. Even though the date doesn't exactly go according to plan, they still hit it off. Cassie is now interested. Jack takes her home, kisses her, and asks her out again. She still doesn't trust that he can change but she is willing to give him a chance. She wants him to prove to her that he's a changed man. So he does. And they start dating.

This relationship starts off really good. Things aren't perfect. They both have trust issues especially Cassie. Cassie's trust issues stem from her father who never follows through with anything he says. Because of this, it's hard for her to trust any man in her life. It's especially hard for her to trust Jack. Jack, who's has never been in a relationship before, and he keeps telling her that he knows he will screw up. Not only that, but Jack has flocks of girls that follow him around who will do anything to get him in bed. So yeah, Cassie has big trust issues. Jack refuses to let anything get in between him and Cassie. He is determined to make them work.

I really enjoyed the first half of this book. I loved the bantering and the flirting. Even wading through their issues didn't bother me. Most couples have issues of all kinds when they first start dating. I liked how they both have goals in their life. Cassie wants to be photographer and Jack wants to play baseball professionally. Things are good between them. The relationship is in a good place. Jack is traveling for his baseball. Cassie is working hard in college. I should've known better than to think everything was going to stay blissful. BIG SIGH. Suddenly, things change dramatically over night between them.

I loved and hated Jack Carter. He made a really bad decision. There is no excuse for what he did - plain and simple. I felt a lot of resentment towards him. Yet I also felt for the guy. I believed him when he said he was sorry. He knew he made a huge mistake. Which is why I still continued to root for this couple. I wanted them to work through this issue. However, I do have my limits. If Jack had only owned up to his mistake, rather than take the extremes he did to make amends, I probably wouldn't have been near as frustrated. There is only so much I could take from Jack. His way to make things right royally pissed me off. I know he comes from a broken home but, come on, any logical person would've made a better decision than he did. Maybe use some common sense. At this point, I thought he'd been hit in the head with a baseball one too many times. I was so pissed. I wanted to body slam Jack. He's lucky he's fictional.

I'm happy to report there is a happy ending. Thank goodness. Phew. This couple put me through the ringer. Because I'm addicted to lots of drama, bad boys, and ridiculous twists and turns that will leave me reeling, I liked this book. However, I will freely admit, this book is not for everyone. I'm glad Ms. Sterling is continuing Cassie and Jack's story. I will definitely read the next book she has in the works.

 

Thoughts While Reading:

66.0% - "Jack! You damn idiot! Gah!"

0 comments:

Comments moderated on posts older than 8 days.