Review: Bold Tricks by Karina Halle

KINDLE

Bold Tricks (The Artists Trilogy #3) by Karina Halle
Contemporary
Forever (October 15, 2013)

Rating: B+
Heat: Hot

Heroine: Ellie Watts – Con Artist, On the Run 
Hero: Camden McQueen – Tattoo Artist, On the Run 

 


 

 

 

Synopsis:


Review:

Ellie, Camden, Gus, and, well, even Javier have been through hell and back. When Shooting Scars ended, Gus went missing. Ellie's mom was firmly in the clutches of none other than Travis Raines. Now, Ellie and Camden will do anything to get Gus - and Ellie's mother - back from Travis. Even if it means making a deal with the devil... aka Javier Bernal. And, oh, he doesn't make it easy. A lot stands between Ellie and Gus. The distance between them is almost the same as the figurative space between her and Camden. Camden is still hurt, rightfully so, and he doesn't take it easy on Ellie. Not only does she have Javier's temper to deal with, Ellie has Camden's hurt feelings to soothe.

This final installment felt like a lot of action, without the emotion behind it that was present in Sins and Needles and Shooting Scars. It didn't have the same force of feelings for me as the previous books. It felt like run, run, run - fight, fight fight. Don't get wrong, it is very much an adrenaline-fueled, high-octane ride that doesn't - ever - let up. It had me flipping pages like a madwoman to find out what was going to happen next. I simply didn't feel any angst. A strong connection to Ellie, Camden, or Javier. It didn't wreck my emotions like the other books did.

And Ellie... I do adore her, don't get me wrong, but she came off a little whiney and needy. I didn't like how Camden became the answer to all her self-doubts. She's better than that. After all the betrayals she experienced, after all the heartaches and letdowns, I wanted her to find her happiness in herself. Not someone else.

Not that Camden isn't a total BAMF (badass mother... you know) and worth some serious hero worship. What he went through to get to Ellie, well, can you blame the girl for going all mushy? No. You can't. But at the same time, I felt like the tension and the drama that crackled around the love triangle between Ellie, Camden, and Javier evaporated so fast it felt like it never even existed.

What did get me all fired up on all cylinders? The super ridiculously hot sex scenes between Ellie and... well, I won't tell you who. Needless to say, they are smokin'. Halle has a way of grabbing hold of your emotions and your lady bits and turning both to mush. Sigh. Those scenes will curl your toes, I guarantee it!

Bold Tricks leaves me in a confusing muddle. I loved so much of it—the writing was fabulous, the action was relentless, the suspense was heavy, and Camden was gloriously sexy—but I didn’t feel an emotional connection to much of it. I’ll probably be in the minority in my opinion. And even though I didn’t feel it in my veins like I did with On Every Street, Sins and Needles, and Shooting Scars, it was still a great story and a wonderful conclusion to this series.

Favorite Quote:

"Can you still see?"
He smiled, all beautiful white teeth, full lips, and dimples. "I'm nearsighted. Which means I'll be a lousy shot until I get a new pair of glasses or some contacts. But at least I can see you clearly. The things up close. The things that matter."
Boom. There went my heart.
In the middle of a Mexican convenience store.

0 comments:

Comments moderated on posts older than 8 days.