Review: Sinful in Satin by Madeline Hunter

AMAZON | KINDLE

Sinful in Satin (Rarest Blooms) by Madeline Hunter
Historical / Regency
2010-09-28 (Jove)

Rating: B-
Heat: Warm

Heroine: Celia Pennifold – Commoner, Daughter of Courtesan 
Hero: Jonathan Albrighton -   Commoner, Spy for the Crown
Setting: England



Synopsis:


Review:

This book was hard for me to decide on a rating. When I first started it, I had a hard time adjusting to the author's style of writing. It just didn't flow quite as well as the author's I'd previously been reading. As a result of that and some general slowness at the beginning of the book, I set it down that first night at Chapter Six, page 76. And didn't feel like picking it up the next day, which is unusual for me. I am a book devour-er, not a savor-er. However, after picking it up again last night - the pace picked up, the characters won me over, and the plot sucked me in.

I have to admit to quite a few "huh?" moments periodically. The goings-on between Jonathon, his Uncle Edward, and his cousin were not particularly crystal clear, but by the end it made sense. I believe most of the confusing aspects might be due to the fact that I started the series with this book, the third of four, and so things that happened in the previous two weren't rehashed in this one. It left me a bit out of the loop with Jonathon and his relationship with the hero's from the other two books, Sommerhays and Hawkeswell, as well as the unrepentant whoremonger - the Duke of Castleford.

And, while the affection between Celia and her lady friends was evident - I didn't get to witness the closeness that grew between them while they all lived at Daphne's floral shop, The Rarest Blooms.

It's not a huge deal, but it did detract from the experience a bit.

However, I have to say, the book did not wane towards the end like quite a few do. It seemed to only get better. The characters had a firm grip on the realities of their stations in life and what that meant for their relationship. I thought the intimacy developed very naturally... and the end was a great one without being overtly fictional and too happily ever after.

I think I will go forward in the series and read Castleford's book (Dangerous in Diamonds) before going back and reading the first two. He was a definite scene-stealer...

Favorite Quote:

"People always build some story around pleasure. The story of marriage or the story of love, or at least a brief tale of commerce.” – Celia

 

Thoughts While Reading:

N/A

0 comments:

Comments moderated on posts older than 8 days.