Review: In Bed with a Highlander by Maya Banks

AMAZON | KINDLE

In Bed with a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy) by Maya Banks
Historical / Medieval
2011-08-30 (Ballantine Books)

Rating: C
Heat: Hot

Heroine: Mairin Stewart – Kidnapped, King’s By-blow 
Hero: Ewan McCabe – Laird, Barbaric 
Setting: Scotland



Synopsis:


Review:

If I could only have separated historical accuracy from the story... since it is fiction... but alas, I really could not. It felt very much like certain words were simply swapped with other words to make it medieval Scotland. Trews for pants. Aye for yes and nay for no. Laird for lord. Otherwise, the dialogue was very modern. I can't quite manage to imagine a 1400s (?) Scottish Laird saying "Wow." (The etymology on wow dates it to the 1510s.)

Maybe it wouldn't have all been so glaringly obvious if I hadn't read so many fantastic Scottish HRs before reading this.

And even then, maybe I could have given it a pass if I had actually liked the characters. I like Mairin's strength and courage in protecting Crispen from Cameron during the first part of the book... But once Crispen was safe and back home, and Mairin and Ewan were married - her personality went downhill, IMO. She became such a know-it-all brat. That's the only way I can think to describe her. All her thoughts on how she knows how to run the keep and the clan better than Ewan. How she, a virgin raised in a nunnery, would have more knowledge on "loving" than Ewan, who... is most definitely not a virgin.

And don't get me wrong, I love the Alpha hero. A little machismo and growling and whatnot in a hero is appealing... But Ewan came off as barbaric in a bad way. Patronizing.

I don't know. It was an okay book, I liked it pretty well... But I don't think I'll ever desire to reread it. And it is NOT a well-done Highlander HR.

Favorite Quote:

N/A

 

Thoughts While Reading:

N/A

0 comments:

Comments moderated on posts older than 8 days.