Review: Reason to Breathe by Rebecca Donovan

AMAZON | KINDLE

Reason to Breathe (The Breathing Series #1) by Rebecca Donovan
Contemporary / Young Adult
2011-05-09 (Rebecca Donovan)

Rating: B+
Heat: Sweet

Heroine: Emma Thomas – Athletic, Smart 
Hero: Evan Mathews – Athletic, Photographer 
Setting: USA



Synopsis:


Review:

“My world was delicately balanced, but the scales never hung even. When something improved, something else had to crumble.” –Emma

Emma Thomas is trying to live a solitary life so no one finds out her secret. She has one friend and she wants to keep it that way. It's easier to hide her secret and not let anyone in if she doesn't form friendships and relationships. She makes good grades and is involved in soccer, track, and basketball. Emma's trying to carve a path for herself by getting a full scholarship to Stanford and get away from her current situation. Then she meets Evan Matthews. He slowly burrows his way into Emma's life by breaking down her walls. He changes her. Makes her feel and love in ways she was trying to avoid. But he makes her happy. These two struggle from the very beginning. This friendship turn to relationship is very sweet and endearing. These two people come from very different worlds. Emma is extremely damaged and in my opinion, Evan is going to have to love her very hard to keep her.

“I love that picture, he admitted softly. I think it's because I love the girl in that picture.” –Evan

Emma is a brave and strong girl. My heart goes out to this girl. This book made me FEEL. I felt the pain she felt. I felt the heartache she felt. I felt the anxiety she felt. I really didn't understand her logic as to why she kept her secret a secret. I wanted to shake her and make her understand that it's okay to tell someone. Unfortunately, in these types of cases, the victim can make convincing arguments in their head to make the situation better.

Rebecca Donovan does not soften the abuse issues. There is no way to explain how very well written this story is until you read it. This is a sad and tragic story. You will be frustrated and angry. It will disturb you and the ending is the worst cliffhanger I've ever read so I immediately bought Barely Breathing, the second book in the Breathing series, just to find out what happens with Emma. However, I did stop reading it because I have a feeling Rebecca Donovan is going to give us another abrupt ending. I'm waiting for book three to come out before I continue on with this story. I'm rooting for Emma to be happy and will definitely continue with this series. (As soon as I see book three's release date.)

 

Thoughts While Reading:

N/A

0 comments:

Comments moderated on posts older than 8 days.