Review: Night Broken by Patricia Briggs

AMAZON | KINDLE

Night Broken (Mercy Thompson #8) by Patricia Briggs
Urban Fantasy
Ace (March 11, 2014)

Rating: A-
Heat: Sweet

Heroine: Mercy Thompson – Trouble Magnet, Coyote Shifter 
Hero: Adam Hauptman – Mate, Werewolf

 

 



Synopsis:

Review:

Oh, Mercy, the trouble you get yourself into...

Mercy, our smart, resilient, and caring heroine is a magnet for bad guys and villains. After the events of Frost Burned, you'd think Mercy, Adam and the gang could get more than a couple months break. Unfortunately for Mercy, there is never a break in the drama. Only, for once, I'd say the trouble is brought on by Christy, Adam’s ex wife. And when Christy brings the trouble, it’s a trouble like we've never seen.

If you're reading this review, you know each book focuses on either the werewolves, the Fae, or the vampires—with some other odd supernatural baddies thrown in occasionally. Night Broken is definitely a werewolf book. And, besides the high octane action and the high emotions involved since the werewolves are Mercy's people, I liked that we once again get a better look at the pack and pack politics. Having Christy around, who usually only adds drama with her off-screen antics, really upset the tentative balance that's existed between Mercy and the majority of the pack.

This time around things are gruesome—and I’m not even talking about the psycho supernatural stalker bad guy running around! No, the drama and the manipulation that Christy is capable of... it’s an art form. You can’t help but hate her. And the way the pack acts toward Christy? And Mercy? It was pretty gruesome. Oh how I wanted to kick Mary Jo’s behind. The only thing that kept me from growling constantly was Honey. The development there was a saving grace.

Patty has such a knack for creating characters you really feel for. She writes characters that feel like friends. After reading (and rereading and rereading) this series, I feel so attached to them. I feel like they live next door or down the street instead of only in my head. Which is why I was ecstatic to see most of my favorites show up—Samuel and Stefan in particular. I’ve really missed Samuel. It hasn't felt the same since Silver Borne. I miss him and the dynamic he added to the stories. (Also, it'd be really nice if he could be Arianna-less for a minute or two when he does show up. Just saying.)

Even though the romance is definitely on the sweet side, the bond between Mercy and Adam is solid and healthy. Which, let's be honest, there are a lot of unhealthy fictional romances out there. The way that Mercy and Adam’s relationship is written, we don't need to be privy to their intimate moments. Every moment between them is intimate. And I like that in this book we really get to see the strength in their bond.

This murder-mystery takes us on a wild, highly imaginative ride. I may be a smidge biased, as the Mercy Thompson series is my favorite urban fantasy series, but Night Broken was well developed and flawlessly executed. And it had me staying up late, repeating to myself, “Just one more chapter. Just one more and I'll go to bed.” I didn't end up going to bed till there were no more chapters. Interesting things are afoot with both the fae and the vampires. I can't wait to see what happens next.

1 comment:

  1. I have heard so much about this author...her covers are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Comments moderated on posts older than 8 days.