Review: Firelight by Kristen Callihan

AMAZON | KINDLE

Firelight (Darkest London) by Kristen Callihan 
Historical / Paranormal
2012-02-01 (Forever)

Rating: A-
Heat: Hot

Heroine: Miranda Ellis – Commoner, Thief
Hero: Benjamin Archer – Artistocrat, Tortured 
Setting: England



Review:

This book is unlike any other I have read to date. It is historical, first and foremost, but is woven through with the paranormal. Other than Miranda's supernatural ability, it takes a long while for more of the unusual to show up. Much of this is due to the mystery surrounding Archer, so that's not a complaint. Every page kept me wondering and guessing. As a fan of paranormal romance, I kept expecting each character to be a vampire or a fae or a werewolf. And the need to know who, what, and the why of Archer was a driving force to keep turning every page. Ms. Callihan does mystery, in all its forms, very well.

And Archer's mask is one of those forms. It keeps him hidden and concealed, yet as you keep reading - the person he is on the inside is revealed though nothing else about him is. It can drive a woman insane. So I felt for Miranda deeply. It would be hard to fall for him, and yet not hard at all.

Their love was sweet and slow. A slow burn would be a great way to describe it... a smoldering and heated romance. And when it finally catches flame, watch out. :-)
I won't ruin the plot and the mysteries - or tell Archer's secret - but I will affirm that I enjoyed how it was all wrapped up. And Archer's big reveal was touching and altogether unexpected. And well done.

I'm looking forward to Daisy and Ian's book very much. And eagerly waiting to see where Ms. Callihan takes the paranormal to in the books to come. This was a solid, unique, and poignant debut. Oh, and sexy as hell.

Favorite Quote:

He took a quick breath, and his voice dropped. "You've no notion of the effect you have on me."
The words gave a hard tug to her belly. She closed her eyes and swallowed.
"If by effect, you mean finding yourself in unchartered waters, wondering whether you are coming or going..." She stared at his shirt, watching his breath hitch. "Then I fear you have the same effect on me, my lord."

 

Thoughts While Reading:

N/A

0 comments:

Comments moderated on posts older than 8 days.