One Night Stand: Sweet as Sin by Inez Kelley

KINDLE

Sweet as Sin by Inez Kelley
Contemporary
2011-01-31 (Carina Press)

Rating: A
Heat: Hot

Heroine: Livvy Andrews – Pastry Chef, Independent 
Hero: John Murphy – Writer, Imaginative 
Setting: USA



Synopsis:


Review:

Sweet as Sin took me by surprise. It’s a dark and intense well-written book. This story left me breathless and speechless. I was so enthralled by this book, I had the hardest time putting it down.

Livvy is the owner of a pastry bakery; the Sugar Shack. She is a strong and independent woman who is taken by surprise when she meets her new sexy neighbor John Murphy and his proposal of a Summer fling.

The chemistry between these two is sizzling. Combustible. They both only expect a fling that will last until it’s no longer fun, but what they didn’t expect is to fall for one another so fast and so hard.

John Murphy brought me to my knees. He is one of the most intense, complicated, and layered men I’ve read in a long time. He suffered abuse as a child that most people would never have survived. As a child, his way of coping with the monster who abused him are the imaginary monsters he creates in his head. As an adult, John took his imagination to a different level and started writing Young Adult Urban Fantasy books about his imaginary monsters, Jondi and Thorn. The way Inez Kelley integrates John's monster story into the love story is fascinating and original which also played an integral role into getting into John's head and what he is thinking. Until he meets Livvy, he has lived his life alone and made his prioriity to protect his sister. Being with Livvy has churned up feelings he has spent his life trying to avoid by only having friends with benefits or one night stands. He sees her as an angel and worries he will taint her with his dark demons. Livvy being the stubborn woman she is will not let him shut down or retreat when things get serious between them. While Livvy may have issues of her own, she is very understanding and patient with John even though he is a difficult man to love.

“Loving John Murphy was easy except when it was hard to love John Murphy.”

 

Livvy is fantastic. She's gentle yet stern with John. She stands up to him and his demons. She never downplays his issues. She learns early on from his sister that he needs to be loved hard and strong. That he will push her away and when he does to push right back and hold on tight. Such a unique and interesting couple. Light and dark. Happy and sad. My heart hurt for John but my heart also hurt for Livvy. I wanted this couple to be happy.

The emotional rollercoaster this story took me on had me laughing, crying, frustrated and angry. The emotional depth of the characters was incredible. John is not only a tormented soul but he is also cool, sexy, witty, and has a brilliant imagination on paper and in the bedroom. I’m not sure I will be able to look at another cupcake the same. Yowzers!

The end resolution wasn't perfect. I couldn't imagine this story being wrapped up into a pretty bow. It was realistic and I was satisfied.

I highly recommend this book. I'm already looking into reading other books by Inez Kelley.

Thoughts While Reading:

48.0% - "Wow....this book is incredible..."

0 comments:

Comments moderated on posts older than 8 days.