One Night Stand: The Education of Sebastian by Jane Harvey-Berrick

KINDLE

The Education of Sebastian (The Education of... #1) by Jane Harvey-Berrick
Contemporary
Harvey Berrick Publishing (November 12, 2012)

Rating: B+
Heat: Hot

Heroine: Caroline Wilson – Older Woman, Married 
Hero: Sebastian Hunter – Younger Man, Lover
Setting: California, USA



Synopsis:


Review:

This story follows Caroline Wilson – thirty years old, married eleven years, and trapped in a cold, loveless marriage. When she was seventeen, she was swept off her feet by David, a military surgeon. Dazzled by the sophisticated man, and ready to escape her mother's constant scrutiny, she made a rash decision and married David at nineteen.

“He hated the way I dressed, the way I spoke, what I spoke about and the things that interested me to speak about… He wasn’t always an unkind man… we were just fundamentally unsuited to each other.”

Because David is in the military, they had to move around a lot. In the beginning of the story, Caroline and David have just been relocated to San Diego, where Caroline first meets Sebastian. She is nineteen and he is eight. When she meets Sebastian's parents, she is horrified by the way they treat their son. Caroline felt bad for Sebastian and ends up forming a close friendship with the boy. Unfortunately, eventually Caroline and David are relocated to another base and she's forced to say goodbye to Sebastian.

Nine years later, David and Caroline are relocated back to San Diego. While on the beach one day, Caroline meets Sebastian again. Caroline is now thirty and Sebastian is seventeen – all grown up, handsome, fit, and very charming. And Caroline soon learns Sebastian has been carrying a torch for Caroline since he was a boy. She resists his advances at first – determined to stay away from Sebastian and his good looks and charm. But there is an attraction there she can't resist. A feeling she has never felt for David. She feels alive with Sebastian. Figuring he was at least eighteen, she decides to give in to her feelings.

But, when she finds out she actually had sex with a seventeen year old, she freaks out. She tells Sebastian there is no way they should ever be together again. Sebastian is determined to keep Caroline, so he talks her into a relationship without sex until he is of age. And because they both are extremely drawn to one another, she gives in. The chemistry between Sebastian and Caroline is incredibly intense and soon they find themselves in a very hot and heavy love affair.

“You are my world, Caro,” he said. “And you're mine.”

Because I am a woman in my mid-thirties, the thought of having sex with a seventeen year old man does nothing for me. I actually shiver at the thought. But the way Jane Harvel-Berrick writes Sebastian's character, I could understand Caroline's attraction towards him. He never had the parental nurturing and supervision most children have growing up. He's been taking care of himself since he was eight. With a drunk for a mother and an abusive father, Sebastian was forced to grow up fast. He's a mature, gorgeous, outgoing, kind man – not a boy. And because Caroline has been living in a stifling marriage for so long, she craved love, touch, kindness. She craved feeling alive again. Sebastian not only awoken her, but he made her feel special and beautiful. Not a servant to his needs like her husband.

“Be happy, Caro, because that's what you deserve. I love you, I have always loved you, and where I go after this world, I will always love you. Sempre e per sempre.”

I fell hard for Sebastian right from the beginning. His deep love and affection for Caroline blew me away. The way he cared for Caroline and protected her made him swoon-worthy in my book. He definitely received a very thorough education from Caroline in the bedroom. The man's stamina is incredible. Phew. There were times when his alpha personality would come to the surface and it made me wonder what kind of man he would become as he aged. And I definitely plan to find out in the second book.

“There's nothing to forgive,” he said, his voice forceful. “We fell in love: it's not a crime.”

This is a well-written, lovely, and sensual book. This forbidden love story never came across as creepy. Even though Caroline was cheating on her husband the entire time, I never once felt bad about it because David was not a good husband. David may not be a completely cruel man, but he was insufferable, demeaning, demanding, and flat-out cold. He didn't treat Caroline with the kind of respect she deserved. And, let's face it, sometimes it is okay to step outside of the box and open your mind to reading different types of romance love stories. Even love stories that may be frowned upon by society. But, for Caroline and Sebastian, their love never felt wrong or uncomfortable. They have the kind of unconditional love that most people search for. Just because there is an awkward age difference, doesn't make it unnatural to love someone with so many years between them.

I knew there was a cliffhanger when I began this book, but it didn't make it any easier when it ended. The ending emotionally wrecked me. I've never wanted a book to NOT end so bad in my life. But lucky the second book, The Education of Caroline, is out now!

Thoughts While Reading:

N/A

3 comments:

  1. I loved this book! I didn't like The Education of Caroline as much as this one, but I'd love to read your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading it now, Tania. I should probably have my review up within the month. I agree with you. It's not as good. But I'm still enjoying it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello friends, how is the whole thing, and what you would like to
    say about this post, in my view its actually amazing designed for me.


    Here is my web site; raspberry ketones reviews

    ReplyDelete

Comments moderated on posts older than 8 days.